Selasa, 20 Januari 2015
One: Finish The Projects You Can
Two: Take The Lead On Succession Planning
Three: Let Go Of Grudges
Four: Be Gracious
Five: Give Clients A Heads-Up
Six: Don’t Badmouth Superiors Or Co-Workers
Why It Sucks: Few people are going to pay you to write fiction.
Why It’s Rewarding: The job market is incredible.
Sucks: It’s difficult to stay active.
Rewarding: You’re not flipping burgers or working retail.
Sucks: You have to do a lot of research.
Rewarding: You get to be creative.
Sucks: You make enemies.
Rewarding: You get people talking.
I. Do What You Love
II. Know Thyself
III. Determine What Type of Career and Work Environment You Want/Need
- Do I want a set schedule, or a job with flexible hours? Which of these motivates me to get the job done more?
- What type of physical environment would be suit me? Indoors? Outdoors? Both?
- How much interaction with the general public and/or coworkers am I looking for?
- Am I more suited to a leadership position, or one where I mainly follow the direction of superiors?
- Do I want a job that requires a lot of travel or one that allows me to come home (to relax, spend time with family, etc.) every night?
- Which jobs would best complement my personality (e.g. introverted, extroverted, etc.), ambitions, and overall life needs?
IV. Talk To a Career Counselor–Get a Career Assessment
VI. Talk to Veteran Professionals in Your Chosen Field(s)
VII. Check Out the Princeton Review Career Quiz
VIII. Draft a Career Plan, Set Goals
IX. Get the Necessary Training
- For example, many people fall into the “I’d love to do that, but…” trap. Never limit yourself like that; don’t be afraid to push the proverbial envelope (the ‘envelope’ here being your future career).
- Don’t even do it for mainly the money. Follow your heart and your passion, even if in the beginning it does pay crappier than that ‘guaranteed’ 100k/year job.
- Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs: I.E. People who followed their passions instead of blindly ‘following the money’, that’s who.
- Laugh in their faces and go prove them wrong. Let no family member, friend or anyone else tell you what you “should be doing”. You are the master of your mind, the captain of your soul. Do what YOU want to do, that which makes you look forward to every single day at “work”. And make no mistake, this all about you.
- And if you don’t have the right skills, go get them. The world is yours.
- “A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”